Millet - Barley- Oats- Whole Wheat- Quinoa - Spelt - Brown Rice - Couscous - Amaranth - Rye - Cornmeal- Buckwheat- Bulgar
Buckwheat is not wheat! I only just learned this. Buckwheat is actually a nutritious seed. (Naturally gluten free). Buckwheat can be used as flour, pancake mix, as a grain side dish (like rice or quinoa) or in noodles like Japanese Soba Noodles (always made with buckwheat). It's a great change- I love a variety in our whole grains. I also just learned that buckwheat is a complete protein, containing all amino acids! (See Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat package below).
This morning I made buckwheat pancakes (from a pancake mix). To tell you the truth, I thought this meal would be a fail because the batter smelled funky! I thought it would taste weird, but it didn't. They were yummy, and all the kids liked them! They were also incredibly filling. They filled all of us up until lunchtime with no snack needed in between. (I added mashed banana and some vegan chocolate chips and topped the pancakes with chopped apples and maple syrup. It was delish!)
(Sidenote: I use coconut oil instead of butter for frying- this is working great for me.)






No comments:
Post a Comment