The past week has been a blur of apres holiday- with a birthday mixed in. There was viewing reptiles, jumping on trampolines, visiting an arcade and a trip to the movies. We had lots of activities keeping the kids occupied while they were off school. So of course we had a blend of home-cooked food and take-out. We enjoyed healthy-stuffed pitas, bean burritos, thai-noodle soup and vegan pizza. We also had a fancy night out where I had a delicious mushroom dish, and the kids reverted to old favourites: macaroni and cheese, chicken fingers and tomato pasta.
The highlight for me from the home-cooked meals this week was the flash-fried brussel sprouts! So delicious! Even the kids liked them!
I tried vegan perogies and cabbage rolls- from Mama Earth Organics (Awesome local, organic food delivery service). I've been a customer for several years. They are expanding their business to prepared food. It's delicious, convenient and so nice to have to help out a busy Mom! Shout out to Mama Earth Organics!!
Other meals from the week:
When we had kid guests over I made a little of this and a little of that so the kids had lots to choose from: tomato soup, lentil balls, rice, vegan chicken fingers, BBQ tofu, breaded cauliflower, refried beans, corn & peas. I also served apple slices, popcorn, apple juice and chocolate soy milk. It was a very kid-friendly and well received meal, (even from the non-vegan guests). Plus it was all extremely simple, as I had enough to worry about with seven kids running around my house!
When I had a group of non-vegan adults over for an impromptu dinner, I made vegan chilli, a fresh salad with beets & carrots and apple crisp. Guests contributed to the meal as well, with homemade bread, chopped fruits and chocolates for dessert. The chilli was light, but filling and the homemade bread was great for dipping. It was a successful meal! (In the midst of hosting and having fun, I forgot to take a photo of the salad, bread and fruit!)
Today was the first day back to school. We started our day with Apple Pie Smoothies from: Plant Powered Families by Dreena Burton. (Benbella, TX, 2015) (A Christmas gift to us!:)
















No comments:
Post a Comment