Monday, January 6, 2020

After School Starving

When my kids get home from school they are usually famished, and ready to eat!  Today one had a bagel with cream cheese, one had peanut butter on toast, one had frozen yogurt, one had instant oatmeal and one had cereal.  (Yes, not all vegan)

At this busy time of day, after getting home from work, picking the kids up from the bus stop and walking the dogs, I oversee the kids complete their homework. I read with the little ones and do simple phonics or writing activities.  It's busy. There's four of them.  I am not yet good at having healthy snacks prepared for this time.  Thus they raid the cupboards and fill up on stuff that interferes with them having such a robust appetite at dinner. I need a plan to combat this dilemma!

Soup plan: I always imagined this plan in a perfect world, when I only had one baby and was on mat leave so I had plenty of time.  The soup plan was to make healthy vegetarian soups in the crockpot each night, so they would be ready as an afterschool snack for the kids when they got home from school.  Can you see the rainbows and butterflies and dainty music?  The soup plan never happened!!!  But it could?  Maybe?  It is a goal.  Perhaps I will start with one crock-pot soup a week.  They can dip whole grain spelt bread or quinoa crackers and have fresh veggies.  Hmmm. Sounds delightful.  Let's see if it's plausible...


Veggies & Dip Plan: Have a plate of fresh veggies and a protein powered dip like sunflower seed dip or homemade hummus.

Fruit & Nut Butters: Provide chopped fruits and nut butters for dipping.

This seems lofty to me, and will require planning and organization. The  key would be to have ONLY these healthy options available as after school snacks.  I feel like it is do-able!  I am the Little Engine that Could: "I think I can!"  I will let you know...

Update:  I'm trying to have healthy snack options available after school! Like this hummus, veggies & whole wheat naan.

Or apples & peanut butter

Or mangoes, cherries with multigrain rosemary crackers and Daiya Dairy-free creamy spread (Chive & onion)
(Note: normally I dislike commercially made fake cheese.  I find they taste like plastic. HOWEVER this one was delicious!  I totally loved it, it didn't taste like plastic at all. The kids found it too "chivey and oniony" so next time I'll buy plain!)




No comments:

Post a Comment