I have come to realize that my kids eat very frequently! It is a lot of work to keep up with their appetites! They may not eat a huge amount at one sitting, but throughout the course of the day, they eat a lot.
Here is the eating schedule for my little monkeys:
Morning: Breakfast (oatmeal/toast/cereal/smoothies/french toast/pancakes soy milk + fruit)
Am Snack: fruit
Lunch: pasta/sandwich with beans/lentils/tofu/quinoa/sunbutter
PM Snack: granola bars/crackers/apple sauce/soy pudding/popcorn/muffins/healthy cookies
After school snack: cereal/fruit/soup/toast/nachos & salsa/peanut butter/hummus/veggies & bean dip
Dinner: Pasta/ Rice & Beans, Stews/ Tacos/ Quinoa/Lentils/Vegetables/Tofu- VARIETY
Bedtimes Snack "Last call for food!": oatmeal/cereal/toast/fruit/leftovers
HOLY GUACAMOLE! I am always in the kitchen!!
So afterschool snack has to be quick and EASY. (It's already hard enough organizing the homework situation). My homemade soup plan failed because I don't have anymore time to cook than I'm already cooking! But a lovely jar of prepared soup from my Mama Earth Organics or local deli does the trick.
After school snacks are set out and it's a free for all. I try to have a different healthy option to deter them from grabbing breakfast cereal. (But I buy whole grain, low sugar cereals so these are okay).
Some examples of recent afterschool snacks:
Carrot Soup & Whole Wheat crackers (Triscuits)
A nice jar of carrot soup from Mama Earth. Note: My kids do not like carrot soup. (I LOVE it). I wanted them to at least try a small taste.
(A new use for my egg-cups that have been abandoned in the cupboard for 8 weeks.)
Cucumbers!
Nachos, Salsa & Guacamole
Grapefruit
My kids all love grapefruit! Nice.
Veggie Splats
Okay- this snack had a lot of promise and hope for me! I saw it on one of my Facebook groups (I can't find the link now to reference it. Sorry!). A mom reported her vegan kids grew up on these: A bunch of whatever veggies are in the fridge blended with potato flakes and flax meal. Fry up with olive oil and serve as patties with ketchup. I was so excited!
These are the veggies I used: mushrooms, kale, parsley, carrots, yellow beans, green pepper, green onion & broccoli.
I was stoked- and had them ready for when I picked the kids up from the bus. I LOVED them - so fresh, packed with fresh veggies! They even smelled amazing to me! The kids had an entirely different opinion. :( They disliked them strongly, let's just say that. So I ended up eating 8 of them all by myself. (In my defense, I didn't have lunch, and just came back from grocery shopping after work, so I was famished). If you're kids like these: Kudos! I'm still hoping mine will acquire a taste. In the meantime, I will make these for me frequently. So easy and yummy. (Although I made such a mess it looked like my kitchen went splat! Ha!) The kids ended up having chopped mango as their afterschool snack instead:
Mango!







No comments:
Post a Comment