Whole grains are bursting with nutritional goodness! They contain fibre, protein, iron among other nutrients. They are versatile and mild, thereby pairing nicely with flavorful stews, skillets and mains. Including a variety of whole grains (not white/refined- those are nutritionally void) in your plant-based diet adds depth, substance and interest!
When I first became a vegan back when I was twelve, it was for health reasons. I had a lot of allergies, and was often feeling dizzy and sick. After visiting many doctors, who could find nothing wrong with me, I finally visited a naturopath. She got me on the path to wellness fast! This is when I began eating organic, whole grains, no meat or dairy, cut out all refined sugars and artificial ingredients. It was tough for a while, being only twelve, but it worked. I got well! I outgrew my allergies, stopped having dizzy spells, had increased energy and felt like a new person. I was sold on this diet for life! Anyway- why I'm bringing this up now is the MILLET! I ate a lot of millet at that time. Apparently millet is easy to digest, and one of the most non-allergic grains (Bulk Barn has this on the label!)
So I'm giving millet a go tonight instead of rice with our cauliflower curry!
Raw Millet looks like birdseed! (Infact, I believe it actually is used in birdseed!)
Once cooked, millet gets light and fluffy- similar to couscous or quinoa.
Millet is readily available at bulk food stores. I got mine at Bulk Barn. (Thank-you Bulk Barn)
Not sure if you can see those nutritional facts, but per a 100 g serving, there is 9 g of fibre (36% RDA), 11 g of protein, 0 g of sugar and 30% of your RDA of iron!
Cooking Millet was easy. I followed the instructions from: https://www.acouplecooks.com/master-recipe-millet/
I like the mild, yet hearty flavour of millet. Not sure how it will go with the kids and hubby. I will post an update after dinner!
Cauliflower-chickpea-spinach curry: https://www.thewholesomefork.com/2016/05/07/coconut-cauliflower-chickpea-curry-vegan/
Cauliflower-chickpea-spinach curry: https://www.thewholesomefork.com/2016/05/07/coconut-cauliflower-chickpea-curry-vegan/
Everyone loved the millet. Millet will now be in our regular rotation of whole grains! The cauliflower curry was absolutely delicious (for me and Julius), but for the picky kids it was "just okay." I'll take it! Three out of four kids actually ate some of their potions. (One liked the cauliflower, one liked the spinach and one liked the chickpeas). (One made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.) They paired their meal with apple slices dipped in peanut butter for dessert. I enjoyed that too!






No comments:
Post a Comment