Spanish Rice & Beans, Salad, Roasted Root Veggies & Avocado on Toast with Hemp Seeds.
SO- what is the plan if they won't eat the dinner?
I tell them they can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
However- it's always whole grain bread, (contains fibre, protein and many nutrients), All natural peanut butter who's only ingredient is peanuts (no added sugar or hydrogenated oils) (full of protein) and all natural 'jam' with no added refined sugars, sweetened with fruit juice. They may also have fresh fruits or veggies.
Sometimes they opt for left overs of the previous nights' dinner (rare) or sometimes they choose avocado on whole grain toast. Sometimes they choose oatmeal topped with chopped almonds or chia seeds, fresh fruit and soy milk. They would love to just eat breakfast cereal with soy milk, but I discourage this for dinner. (They get enough of this at breakfast or bedtime snack.)
(This was S's alternative to dinner tonight)
Tonight, my two older sons ventured into the fridge and pulled out a package of vegan Gnocchi (Italian potato pasta) that I had purchased (meant for another meal). They cooked it themselves with marinara sauce while I took the littlest brother to basketball practice. (Dad was upstairs working - so was on call if something went awry with our gas stove). I have to admit, I was proud of this. It also reversed some of the frustration I felt tonight. Yes they didn't like, wouldn't try, and hated the meal I worked hard to make, BUT they took initiative to cook another vegan meal for themselves. (Yes it was simple- and not a great protein option, but still! I was planning on hiding blended beans in the marinara sauce when I made it) They cooked it, they liked it, they ate it.
All is well at the end of the day!
Watching my little one run as fast as his little legs could carry him, while he looked at me and I caught a smile also erased my cooking frustration- He reminded me that it's all good. It's a journey, and I shouldn't feel discouraged or frustrated. Take a breath- they will eat.





No comments:
Post a Comment