Note: The thumbs: 👍👎 that you see after each meal pic are the opinions of my 4 children in order oldest to youngest. Take them with a grain of salt, as they tend to be quite picky. My husband and I are loving pretty much everything I cook! I'm hoping my kids will learn to like more and more, but for now we have the thumbs!!
I feel like as the weeks go on, I'm cooking better and better vegan food. It's really turning into a hobby and passion for me. Kids continue to be hit or miss!
Here goes Week 9:
French Toast (Buckwheat)
👍👍👍👍
Julius made breakfast for us today at the cottage! Kids requested French Toast, but I forgot to pack the grinder for the chia seeds. So Julius made French toast with the buckwheat pancake mix that I did pack. He subsititued the egg for mashed banana and it worked like a charm! Remember buckwheat is not wheat, it is a seed, full of protein!
Our Japanese Meal
(Back by Popular Demand)
Edamame/Cucumber/Avocado Salad
👍👍👍👍
Teriyaki Tofu with Brown Rice
👍👍👍👍
Veggie Splats
Simple Bean Burrito
Refried & mashed black beans, tomato paste & mashed avocado in a whole wheat tortilla.
-👍👎👎
Simple Sunday lunch in between basketball practice, a birthday party and a playdate. I was Taxi-Mama for the youngest 3, while Hubby had my oldest at a tournament (he didn't try this). I mashed everything to avoid the chunks. Q ate his completely! The little two requested peanut butter and jam.
Coconut-Chia Seed Pudding
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/237469/chia-coconut-pudding-with-coconut-milk/
Kids would not even try this, just from looking at it. I find it delicious and super filling! (My non-vegan friends loved this too on our girls weekend away)
Peanut Butter-Banana-Apple Smoothies
(I added Oat Milk, Yummly App)
👎👍👍👍
G didn't like the texture, Q & O tolerated them, S liked it!
Cauliflower Tacos
https://www.livestrong.com/recipes/roasted-cauliflower-tacos-with-avocado-cream/
👍👍👎👍
My boys not only liked this meal, they LOVED it! G is my biggest taco fan, as tacos are his favourite meal; so I prepared myself for disappointment. I told him to "keep an open mind." After tasting it, he said he liked these even better than regular tacos!! Even without the cheese! I was floored. I also couldn't believe I got him to eat purple cabbage! S never liked tacos, even when she ate meat, so it wasn't a surprise that she didn't like these either. I thought they were divine! I deviated from the above recipe slightly:
(I knew the kids wouldn't like this, so the kids' bad reviews were not a big surprise. Tabouli is a traditional mediterranean salad. The parsley in it has a very strong flavour. I like it! Maybe the kids will one day!
Mediterranean Feast:
Falafel, hummus, whole wheat pita, Tabouli Salad, steamed broccoli
https://www.thewholesomedish.com/simple-hummus-without-tahini/#wprm-recipe-container-7482
👍👍👎👍
The kids (except S) reported that they liked this "Okay." I think it would have been better received if I'd put the falafel & hummus in a pita with toppings. It's a work in progress. O enjoyed it.
Note: The falafel was easy to make. I bought a falafel mix, added water, let sit for an hour, then formed into balls and deep fried in olive oil.
Oatmeal-Banana-Chocolate Chip Cookies
https://cleananddelicious.com/3-ingredient-banana-oatmeal-breakfast-cookies/
👍👍👍👍
School snack!
Sweet Potato Bean Soup
👎👎👎👎
I LOVE this soup. I can't remember where I got the recipe from, but I've been making it since University. So delicious. Kids aren't a fan. S & O liked it the first time I served it to them, so not sure what happened today. Their downy thumbs will never stop me from making this soup! (Sweet potatoes, onions, curry, black beans, veg broth, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar salt & pepper)
Pizza with Cashew "Cheese"
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/melty-stretchy-gooey-vegan-mozarella/
👍👍👍👍
This was a major hit!! Now that I know cashews are okay for Q, I feel like a whole vegan door has opened up for us! This cashew "cheese" was so easy to make, and so stretchy! The kids were skeptical by looking at the pizza, but all four loved it! Various toppings to suit each kid!
Veggie Chow Mein
https://www.cookclickndevour.com/veg-chow-mein-recipe-indo-chinese/
👎👎👎👎
I chopped the veggies, cooked the noodles and put the sauce together in a jar the night before. I then put everything together, frying it up in the morning and packed it up in thermoses for lunches. Delicious (to me) and quick! I didn't have all the ingredients for the sauce, and I didn't want it too spicy for the kids, so I omitted some ingredients. I kept it pretty simple. I thought the subtle sauce was perfect.
Pineapple-Banana- Silken Tofu Smoothies
https://www.sandraseasycooking.com/2015/01/pineapple-banana-tofu-smoothie.html
👍👍👍👍
So yummy and tropical!! I added parsley, kale and ground flax to the grow-ups' smoothies.
Veggie Chow Mein + Cashews
https://www.cookclickndevour.com/veg-chow-mein-recipe-indo-chinese/
This was just so good and simple, that I had to make it again the next day. This time I added cashews for extra protein and mushrooms. Amazing. (Not to the kids, but to me! I especially love the purple cabbage.)
Gnocchi With Marinara-Matpe Bean Sauce & Salad
👍👍👍👍
This is such an easy, kid-friendly-protein packed meal! I found pre-made vegan gnocchi (potato pasta) and cooked it according to package directions, I bought fresh marinara sauce from the deli section of my grocery store. I boiled hulled and split matpe beans for 20 minutes then blended them in my high tech blender with the marinara sauce. It makes the red sauce look and feel creamy, but there's no cream people, it's matpe beans! (Full of protein & iron & fibre).
Our Japanese Meal
(Back by Popular Demand)
Edamame/Cucumber/Avocado Salad
👍👍👍👍
Teriyaki Tofu with Brown Rice
👍👍👍👍
Veggie Splats
👎👎👎👎
I loved these (and ate them all), unfortunately the kids did not.
Simple Bean Burrito
Refried & mashed black beans, tomato paste & mashed avocado in a whole wheat tortilla.
-👍👎👎
Coconut-Chia Seed Pudding
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/237469/chia-coconut-pudding-with-coconut-milk/
Kids would not even try this, just from looking at it. I find it delicious and super filling! (My non-vegan friends loved this too on our girls weekend away)
Peanut Butter-Banana-Apple Smoothies
(I added Oat Milk, Yummly App)
👎👍👍👍
G didn't like the texture, Q & O tolerated them, S liked it!
Cauliflower Tacos
https://www.livestrong.com/recipes/roasted-cauliflower-tacos-with-avocado-cream/
👍👍👎👍
My boys not only liked this meal, they LOVED it! G is my biggest taco fan, as tacos are his favourite meal; so I prepared myself for disappointment. I told him to "keep an open mind." After tasting it, he said he liked these even better than regular tacos!! Even without the cheese! I was floored. I also couldn't believe I got him to eat purple cabbage! S never liked tacos, even when she ate meat, so it wasn't a surprise that she didn't like these either. I thought they were divine! I deviated from the above recipe slightly:
1. I used tostadas instead of traditional taco shells
2. I made my own simple guacamole instead of the lime avocado crema from the recipe (it contained yogurt). My vegan guac: 2 avocados, juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 tsp salt- mash all together (that's it). So good!! I spread this on the tostadas before putting on the toppings.
3. I wanted a protein option- I was planning on making falafel, but didn't read the instructions on my falafel mix on time. I wasn't prepared for it to sit for an hour!! So I had to come up with a quick alternate. Luckily, my hubby picked up some vegan "chik'n" at the store, and it was sitting in our fridge. So I fried it up and put it on the tacos. I'm not a fan of the fake meat stuff, but my boys loved it and got their protein. This was a win.
4. I added shredded lettuce and a drizzle of smooth salsa
S made her own dinner- whole grain steel cut oats, with slivered almonds, strawberries, chopped apples and soy milk; topped with cinnamon. It was one of those "I don't like it" days for her. This is her go-to back-up meal, and it's nutritious and hearty, so I'm A-OK with this. She could eat it all day everyday, and I'd be happy (so would she).
Tabouli Salad
👎👎👎👎(I knew the kids wouldn't like this, so the kids' bad reviews were not a big surprise. Tabouli is a traditional mediterranean salad. The parsley in it has a very strong flavour. I like it! Maybe the kids will one day!
Mediterranean Feast:
Falafel, hummus, whole wheat pita, Tabouli Salad, steamed broccoli
https://www.thewholesomedish.com/simple-hummus-without-tahini/#wprm-recipe-container-7482
👍👍👎👍
The kids (except S) reported that they liked this "Okay." I think it would have been better received if I'd put the falafel & hummus in a pita with toppings. It's a work in progress. O enjoyed it.
Note: The falafel was easy to make. I bought a falafel mix, added water, let sit for an hour, then formed into balls and deep fried in olive oil.
Oatmeal-Banana-Chocolate Chip Cookies
https://cleananddelicious.com/3-ingredient-banana-oatmeal-breakfast-cookies/
👍👍👍👍
School snack!
Sweet Potato Bean Soup
👎👎👎👎
I LOVE this soup. I can't remember where I got the recipe from, but I've been making it since University. So delicious. Kids aren't a fan. S & O liked it the first time I served it to them, so not sure what happened today. Their downy thumbs will never stop me from making this soup! (Sweet potatoes, onions, curry, black beans, veg broth, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar salt & pepper)
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/melty-stretchy-gooey-vegan-mozarella/
👍👍👍👍
This was a major hit!! Now that I know cashews are okay for Q, I feel like a whole vegan door has opened up for us! This cashew "cheese" was so easy to make, and so stretchy! The kids were skeptical by looking at the pizza, but all four loved it! Various toppings to suit each kid!
Veggie Chow Mein
https://www.cookclickndevour.com/veg-chow-mein-recipe-indo-chinese/
👎👎👎👎
I chopped the veggies, cooked the noodles and put the sauce together in a jar the night before. I then put everything together, frying it up in the morning and packed it up in thermoses for lunches. Delicious (to me) and quick! I didn't have all the ingredients for the sauce, and I didn't want it too spicy for the kids, so I omitted some ingredients. I kept it pretty simple. I thought the subtle sauce was perfect.
My kids- there's another story.
G: "Too many different vegetables and I don't like onions. Kids like things simple, Mom. This is too fancy."
Q: "It didn't taste like anything." (I think Q would have liked it with all the spices and sauces)
S: "I didn't like it."
O:
Vent time: Man, so frustrating! They prefer a bowl full of white noodles with chemicals (Instant ramen) that is nutritionally void! Then they pop chocolate and graham crackers in the microwave- not a healthy snack. :( :( What's a healthy, vegan Mom to do??????
Pineapple-Banana- Silken Tofu Smoothies
https://www.sandraseasycooking.com/2015/01/pineapple-banana-tofu-smoothie.html
👍👍👍👍
So yummy and tropical!! I added parsley, kale and ground flax to the grow-ups' smoothies.
Veggie Chow Mein + Cashews
https://www.cookclickndevour.com/veg-chow-mein-recipe-indo-chinese/
This was just so good and simple, that I had to make it again the next day. This time I added cashews for extra protein and mushrooms. Amazing. (Not to the kids, but to me! I especially love the purple cabbage.)
Gnocchi With Marinara-Matpe Bean Sauce & Salad
👍👍👍👍
This is such an easy, kid-friendly-protein packed meal! I found pre-made vegan gnocchi (potato pasta) and cooked it according to package directions, I bought fresh marinara sauce from the deli section of my grocery store. I boiled hulled and split matpe beans for 20 minutes then blended them in my high tech blender with the marinara sauce. It makes the red sauce look and feel creamy, but there's no cream people, it's matpe beans! (Full of protein & iron & fibre).


























No comments:
Post a Comment