Saturday, December 14, 2019

Week 2: Bumps in the road, but we're on our way!

This week went pretty well....however, one resister is in the house.  Q misses his cow's milk and exclaims that he's sick of vegan food.  He did have some meals that he actually loved: the Japanese day (edamame salad, miso soup, brown rice and teriyaki tofu) and he enjoyed the tacos with fresh guacamole.  We'll let him "cheat" and keep offering him yummy options.  I don't want to force him, and I want him to feel happy with what he is eating.  No pressure.

Besides Q, the other three are still gung-ho, even more so than when we start and are proudly calling themselves "vegan" now.  Although S asked for eggs once (which I made happily) and G enjoyed his grilled cheese sandwich at hot lunch day at school.  There was one episode where the siblings were arguing then shouting at each other: "you're not a real vegan, you ate "X".  I quickly corrected this, saying "we don't need labels!  We can all eat what we choose, and still eat many healthful plant-based foods."  Kids always seem to find something to argue about!

The food that the kids seem to miss the most is regular milk.  (Except O who wants nothing to do with regular milk).  Q was asking for it the most (funny because we've suspected dairy was giving him stomach aches for quite a while.)  "Cereal doesn't taste the same with plant milk." I recognize that you do need to acquire a taste for some things; especially with kids! And transitions take time.  G and S were requesting their favourite Saturday breakfast: real French toast.  So I headed to the corner store and bought a jug of milk and a carton of eggs. So far Q is the only one who's touched the milk, and G and S were the only ones to eat the French toast.  O happily ate Cheerios with bananas and almond milk for his Saturday breakfast in front of the T.V.

Grandpa brought over a bucket of chicken wings, which Q as well as the two little kids ate.  Having a few non-vegan meals was a bump in the road, but I do not look at it as failing at all!  This is a journey, and a big change for them.  I appreciate that they are trying, and open to new things and making an effort.  We will keep on this journey! And hopefully they will miss those non-vegan foods less and less.

We had another full week of (mostly) plant-based eating!  See below for results!














Week 2: Family Feedback



G
Q
S
O

Tacos with
ground soy,
fresh
guacamole,
salsa,
mushrooms
and lettuce
👍
“I tried
guacamole and
I liked it!”
👍
“I love
guacamole the
most!”
👍
“This is my jam”
👎
“I like avocados,
but don’t like
guacamole and
I don’t like this
taco.”
Lentil soup
👎
👎
👎
“Not my jam,
no offense
Mommy.”
👎
Miso soup
👍
👍
👎
“Too salty”
👎
Edamame
salad
(edamame,
cucumber,
avocado, rice
vinegar & soy
sauce)
👎
“The avocado
is mushy and
plain.”
👍
“This is my
favourite!”
(Q had his with
‘fake’ crab (made
of fish) I need to
find a vegan
version...
👍
👍

Tofu teriyaki
and brown rice
👍
“I ate 5 pieces of tofu and I actually liked it!” (This is a first for G)
👍
👍
“This is so my jam!”
👍
Quinoa, Flax
Banana-
chocolate chip
pancakes
👍
“Even my friend liked these.”
👍
👍
“Needs more
syrup.”
👎
“If this had no
chocolate chips,
it would be
better.”
Chia-coconut
pudding
👎
“Looks like wet animal feed.”
👎
Would not try it
👍
👍
Vegan store-
bought pizza
👎
“Too dry”
👎
👎
👎
“Looks like it
has jam on it.”
Fruit salad
👍
👎
Needs his fruit
to be separated
👍
👍
Spaghetti
Squash
👎
👍
👎
👎
Plant-based
chicken fingers
👍
👍
👎
👍
Veggie Chilli
👎
👎
👍
👍
Vegan Corn
bread with
apple sauce
👍
👎
👍
“I like it with my
chilli on top”
👍
Take-out
Chinese food:
(veggie fried
rice, tofu,
broccoli &
mushrooms,
bean sprouts
and noodles)
(I forgot to take
a photo of this)
👍

👍
👍
👎


No comments:

Post a Comment