Wednesday, December 18, 2019

School Lunch Boxes!

The lunch box struggle is not new now that I'm making plant-based lunches for my four kids.  It's always been a problem and a huge pain!  "I don't like that," "I don't want that," "I won't eat this."  Oh man, what to feed those kids at school?


When I was a young vegan, I would eat the same lunch every single day: peanut butter sandwich, an apple, and a mix of peanuts and raisins.  My then common lunch is now impossible due to allergies at schools.  (Of course I am in full understanding and support of the nut ban in schools!  This is life and death we are talking about.  And, not to mention my own son is allergic to some nuts too, so I more than get it).

So what do we feed our young plant - based eaters when they are on their own at school?

Well, I am still figuring this out as I still get the "I don't like this," complaints.  But I have a plan, and I'm making a start.  Making vegan breakfasts and dinners are hard enough, so vegan school lunches have got to be easy!


I make sure to have plenty of snacks on hand: lots of fresh fruit and vegetables for sure, plus a variety of whole grain/protein snacks.  Then you need your main course.




Lunch: Main Course:

I figure if I can find 5 main courses then I'm good. I can just repeat them each week.  One meal for Mondays, one for Tuesdays, etc. (right now I have 11)

What we've got so far:
1. Quinoa, flax & banana vegan chocolate chip pancakes
2. Spaghetti in a thermos with either: vegan meatballs or lentil or quinoa noodles
3. Sandwich with vegan deli slices, lettuce & mustard, whole grain bread
4. Hummus (homemade to avoid sesame seeds due to allergies) and whole grain bagel or pita
5. Jam sandwich on whole grain bread or bagel (denser bread = more protein)
6. Vegetable fried rice topped with Chinese tofu OR brown rice & tofu teriyaki
7. Edamame, cucumber & avocado salad
8. Vegan hot dogs with whole wheat buns (yes- proceed, not so healthy, but still better than the meat and nitrate alternative!)
9. Bagel with Vegan Cream Cheese (Daiya)
10. Sunbutter sandwich
11. Vegan sausages with brown rice & steam veggies (eg. edamame)



(Note: alternative nut butters (made with sunflower seeds or soy or peas) may be allowed at some schools.  Most schools ban these as they look too much like nut butters and teachers may not be able to tell them apart).


Snacks:
When looking for pre-made snacks for my kids' lunches I look for protein & whole grains and low sugar.  And of course, everything must be nut-free.  Look in your local health food store or health section in your grocery store, you'll be surprised by the options!


Some snack ideas:
bean chips (variety of flavours, contains protein, iron & fibre)
apple sauce
whole grain crackers
gingersnap cookies (low sugar, made with spelt flour)
popcorn
dry whole grain cereal
soy or coconut pudding
trail mix (raisins, cereal, coconut, choc chips, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
granola bars (whole grain, less sugar)
pea snaps
roasted chickpeas
roasted lentils
roasted peas (flavours like: dill pickle exist)
vegan yogurt (coconut or soy)
seaweed snacks (no sesame for allergies)
fishy crackers (whole grain)
kale chips (homemade or store bought)
quinoa chips
sweet potato & root vegetable chips
muffins (whole grain, less sugar) (I have to make these homemade)
oatmeal cookies (low sugar) (homemade)
banana bread (whole grain, low sugar)
rice cakes (made with brown rice) add jam to be fancy!

Banana-Oatmeal Cookies (EASY)



Fruits & Veggies
apples
oranges
bananas
melon (cantaloupe, honeydew, water)
grapes
strawberries
chopped pineapple
chopped mango
pear
peaches
plums
clementines
carrots & celery
cucumber
green/yellow beans
broccoli & cauliflower
cherry tomatoes
Yellow, orange, green & red peppers





I still deal with "I don't like it," "I don't want that!"  And it's exhausting!  In a perfect world the kids would eat vegan stews and soups and leftovers for lunch, but they won't!  For now, here we are.  On days that I really don't know what to feed them, we revert back to cream cheese on a bagel.  I will look for a vegan, nut-free version.


No comments:

Post a Comment