Oatmeal is our main go-to deal for breakfast! We love steel cut oats- they take forever so the alternative is quick steel cut oats! Just as good and a fraction of the time. All of our kids love our whole grain oatmeal. We top it with: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, sliced apple and bananas and sliced almonds. You can add a variety of nuts- but with an allergy in the family that gets a bit tricky. Serve with brown sugar (optional- 2/4 kids like it with sugar) and almond milk. Another variety: peanut butter -banana oatmeal. I invented this recipe after having gum surgery and forced to eat only mushy food for two weeks. Here's my recipe:
Peanut Butter-Banana Oatmeal
1 bowl of cooked oatmeal
1 banana
2 tbsp of All natural peanut butter
Directions: Mash all ingredients together with a potato masher and serve with almond milk. SO DELICIOUS!
Avocado Toast is simple yet nutritious and delicious. Use whole grain toast, to maximize protein, iron and fibre. You can add tomatoes, toasted sunflower seeds or sprouts. But my kids like it plain, mashed right into the toast.
Chocolate-Kale Smoothie- This breakfast smoothie is my favourite smoothie- (my own recipe). It is packed full of protein and iron and it tastes like a chocolate milkshake (just not as sweet). My daughter loves this- she has taste buds for dark chocolate- just like me :)
Chocolate-Kale Smoothie
2 large kale leaves, washed and stems removed
2 frozen bananas
1/2 cup frozen cherries (ensure no pits)
2 tbsp almond butter
3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2-3 cups almond milk (adjust for desired consistency)
Directions: Put all ingredients in a high power blender and blend until smooth
Yield: 2 LARGE smoothies
Smoothies- There is no limit to the variety of vegan smoothies you can whip up: cherry- almond, gingerbread-molasses (Oh She Glows: https://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/01/iron-woman-gingerbread-smoothie/), tropical, blueberry, strawberry-vanilla, green....The possibilities are absolutely endless. You can use nut butters, silken tofu, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and any fruit you want. Coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk or fruit juices. I always sneak some greens in there (dandelion, spinach, kale, chard) and we're good to go!
Scrambled Tofu on Toast: This is surprisingly easy to make. I like to double the spices and nutritional yeast to add extra flavour. It's great with salsa and chopped avocado.
Toast and Peanut Butter: An old comfort food! Almond butter is also delicious for a change. Top with sliced banana or sliced strawberries, fruit jam, honey, or if you really want to go wild: sliced peaches! Kids: make sure you wash your hands good before going to school (so not to aggravate someone with a peanut allergy.)
Pancakes: I love beet pancakes (Deceptively Delicious, Jessica Seinfeld, Collins(2007) pg. 143.) (I omit the ricotta cheese-it's still great). You can also experiment with different flours (almond, quinoa, whole wheat) to add extra protein. Blueberry pancakes, apple pancakes, sweet potato pancakes are stars as well. Top with fruit and maple syrup! (Due to time, pancakes are usually a weekend breakfast at our house).
Fresh squeezed OJ adds a spark to every breakfast! Also adds that vitamin C to help iron absorption!
Fresh squeezed OJ adds a spark to every breakfast! Also adds that vitamin C to help iron absorption!
Tofu/Tempeh Bacon BLTs: I find these bacons pretty salty, so I like to use sparingly. I enjoy frying some tomatoes to serve with the bacon and top it on toast.
Brown Beans on Toast: A good old can of beans warmed up and poured on toast. 3/4 of my kids like this. Serve with fruit on the side to use that vitamin C to maximize iron absorption.
Hot Quinoa with Berries and Maple Syrup: (The Organic Family Cookbook, Annie Daulter, Sellers Publishing, 2011, Pg. 28). This is so yummy. Takes a bit of time, so you might want to prepare the quinoa the night before if this is a school day!
Fruit, fruit, fruit!! (Need I say more?)
Coconut- Chia breakfast Pudding: Make this the night before so it has time to soak together. Chia seeds are a good source of protein and iron and coconut is a good source of deliciousness! Top with shredded coconut, sliced bananas, berries and enjoy! There are many varieties of this yummy treat. Here is one: https://choosingchia.com/coconut-chia-pudding/
Coconut- Chia breakfast Pudding: Make this the night before so it has time to soak together. Chia seeds are a good source of protein and iron and coconut is a good source of deliciousness! Top with shredded coconut, sliced bananas, berries and enjoy! There are many varieties of this yummy treat. Here is one: https://choosingchia.com/coconut-chia-pudding/
Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies: None of my kids complain if these are for breakfast. Think peanut butter, shredded coconut and chocolate chips for breakfast! Is that even allowed?? You can even sneak in nutritional powerhouses like hemp seeds or ground flax meal. These will certainly need to be made the night before and I always significantly reduce the sugar. Coconut and peanut butter are already naturally sweet, so we don't need all that added sugar. There are a variety of recipes for these out there. Here is one: https://ohsheglows.com/2019/06/29/flourless-peanut-butter-cookies/
Quinoa-Flax Crepes: I found a quinoa pancake mix at the health food store. This saves time on those busy mornings! I ground flax seeds and mixed with water to substitute for eggs (as directed on packaging). We added extra liquid to make the batter thinner so we could fry them like crepes. Topped with vegan-chocolate-hazelnut-spread (https://www.yumsome.com/how-to-make-vegan-nutella/)
Vegan French Toast with chia seed batter: This was so delicious, it tasted like real french toast, we all love it! https://minimalistbaker.com/basic-vegan-french-toast/
Breakfast Cereal- Kids love breakfast cereal. These can be very high in sugar, so be picky and choosy. I have only certain breakfast cereals that I will allow in my house. Absolutely no candy for breakfast! There are some good, whole-grain options that are low in sugar. Bonus: most breakfast cereals are high in iron. Make sure to serve with fruit or a glass of orange juice to get the most out of that! I also encourage soy milk instead of almond milk if having breakfast cereals in order to start the day with protein.
and fresh strawberries. Kids loved it!
Vegan French Toast with chia seed batter: This was so delicious, it tasted like real french toast, we all love it! https://minimalistbaker.com/basic-vegan-french-toast/
Breakfast Cereal- Kids love breakfast cereal. These can be very high in sugar, so be picky and choosy. I have only certain breakfast cereals that I will allow in my house. Absolutely no candy for breakfast! There are some good, whole-grain options that are low in sugar. Bonus: most breakfast cereals are high in iron. Make sure to serve with fruit or a glass of orange juice to get the most out of that! I also encourage soy milk instead of almond milk if having breakfast cereals in order to start the day with protein.







No comments:
Post a Comment